Thursday, October 30, 2008

6 mile easy run (46:39)

I went on a 6 mile easy run this morning in 46:39 (avg pace 7:47) as my first run since my half marathon on Sunday. I felt great about two days later but just haven't got out on the road since. At least I thought I felt great until after 6 miles this morning. Both of my calves have been sore all day with a few other aches here and there. At least it is symmetrical soreness (more normal type delayed onset muscle soreness). They say it takes one day to recover for every mile that you race, and I was pretty close to racing on Sunday. So it should take about 13 days to completely recover from that run.

The Runnersworld "Running Doc" Dr. Lewis G. Maharam answers the question of how to treat yourself immediately after a race to lessen muscle soreness here.

The hottest news this week is the build up for the New York City Marathon on Sunday November 2 (my son Micah's birthday). This is definitely a race that I want to do some day. See course map here. There are qualifying standards that I could meet (at least their half marathon standard 1:23:00). The race will be televised on Universal Sports and also live 8:45 ET on their website www.universalsports.com.

It will be worth a watch, especially the women's field, which includes many of the top women in the world (including WR holder Paula Radcliffe) and two debut's with great potential: Kara Goucher and Kim Smith. Someone even tried to predict what their debut times would be here.
See the list of elite women here.
And a list of the elite men here.


Runnersworld finally caught up with "a winner" with the fastest time at the Nike Women's Marathon in San Fransisco. Catch that interview here.

See Andy Samberg as the Out of Breath Jogger from 1982
and the Out of Breath Jogger from 1992

OK, that should be enough links to keep you busy for a while.

Finally, a great video of elite track athlete Lauren Fleshman of nearby Canyon Country, CA (Canyon High class of '99) going over running form drills. She explains them well and makes perfect form look easy.

No comments: