Thursday, October 7, 2010

8 mile morning run

It was a little windy this morning, it is also colder in the morning (high 40s). This gave me an excuse to use my arm warmers and skull cap. I probably didn't need either one but it kept me warm for the first few miles. The other reason for the skull cap is to hold my ear buds in my ears. I guess I have misshapened ears because I have never found a pair that actually stays in my ears. So during the summer I rarely run with music. Today I did, and the cap goes over my ears and holds the ear buds tightly in place. Does anyone else have this problem?

Well I had a good run. I ran away from the wind toward Ave K. It is usually less windy past Ave M, but all downhill so I then turned around and ran back uphill to my house. I added another short hill closer to my house and my calf felt about 90%! I finished the 8 miles in 61 minutes exactly! The second half was faster than the first even though I was running uphill! I was feeling stronger after each mile today.


Ave you ever run an inagural marathon? It is kind of cool to say you ran the first race like, "I ran the first LA Marathon." I didn't really, I would have been 6 years old for the first one! Well, they had the inagural Camarillo Marathon this weekend and I guess it didn't go so well. They ran into quite a few problems. Check out the write up in the Ventura County Star.

Also don't forget to check out Thirsty Thursdays with Jack Daniels this week.

Finally, check out this interview with Peter Gilmore and Magdalena Lewy-Boulet on running nutrition (pre-workout, pre-race, carb loading, marathon fueling, and post run recovery).

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Yes, I have the same problem keeping the ears buds tightly in place. I purchased some little inserts to put over the ear buds at the Air Force Marathon last year. They were designed to help hold the ear buds in place. They did not solve my problem.

Glad to hear that your calf is at about 90%! Running the uphills was a good test.

Wow! The inagural Camarillo Marathon sounds like a total disaster!

This morning I purchsed my airline ticket and signed up for the Rocket City Marathon on December 11th. I am really looking forward to racing a marathon after just pacing myself to finish in under 4 hours this past weekend.