Thursday, February 3, 2011

65st West Hill Repeats

My plan to train for the Accenture Tower Ultimate Climber Challenge is to run lots of hills and do lots of lunges. I only have a few weeks to train so I will have to be careful not to over do it. You can't cram for a race just like you can't cram for a stair climb.

I ran over to 65th St. West between ave M and M-8 today. I then attempted 4 repeats with a recovery jog back down inbetween. The rest time down ended up being almost exactly 4 minutes each time. Any faster and It wouldn't have been "recovery time." My times for the hills (each one is a half mile and reaches a grade of around 7-8%) were 3:18, 3:22, 3:26, 3:23. To put it into perspective my best time up this hill is 3:08. I haven't run hills like that in a while and I could start to feel the burn a little earlier on each successive repeat. I also felt my right calf a fatigue and tighten as the workout progressed. I haven't mentioned this before but my right calf has been sore since my "easy trail run" with Keira almost two weeks ago. I can still run on it, it is just tight.

Total mileage for today was 8.

Here is the link to my pledge page for the ALA Fight for Air Climb.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Nice work on the hill repeats. I had my best tempo workout in a while, closing my last mile in 6:33 to avg 6:45 pace over 5 miles. Plus, my tempo course has some steady and rolling hills throughout that total almost 500 ft of elevation gain. Fast finish long run is on my agenda for tomorrow.