Sunday, February 27, 2011

I am sore (but not where you'd expect)

I woke up today and took inventory. I stood up and my legs felt suprisingly good. I walked up and down the stairs at my dad's house with no problem. With no stair training for this event yesterday, not even once on a stair master, I figured I would be sore for a few days in my quads and glutes, but no problem. Later this morning I realized, "my left shoulder is killing me, why is my left shoulder so sore?" Then I thought about the stair climb. My left arm was my inside hand the entire time as we ascended the stair-well counter-clockwise for an hour. I occasionally used both hands, but almost always grabbed and pulled with my left arm. I also used the left to quickly swing 180 degrees around each landing area (2x per floor). Funny that after 5400 steps it is my left shoulder that got the most cranky.

We watched the Academy Awards tonight and, after the song commemorating all the people in the film industry that have passed away this year, they finished with a quote from Lena Horne,
"It's not the load that breaks you down, its the way you carry it."

It made me think of how my left arm carried more of the load than it was ready too yesterday. It made me think of how, as a physical therapist, I teach people how to carry loads so that they don't break down. It reminded me that your posture and how you carry yourself when running can cause your body to break down. And it made me think of people like Lena Horne that have over come obstacles because of the way they carried themselves and responded to criticism.

What a great quote.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great point, and in so many ways, as I think about, very fitting in life and running.

Chuck said...

Speaking about soreness, I have a question.

Because of work, I have been staying in a nice downtown Los Angeles hotel for the last 3 days. I have run 5 miles on the hotel treadmill each morning. What I have noticed is that my knee does not get stiff and sore during or after I run. All of my running has been at 7.5 MPH with a 1% incline. Why do you think my knee gets so stiff and sore running on the aqueduct but not on the treadmill?

Karl Stutelberg said...

Chuck, two reasons, the treadmill does "give" a little bit where as asphalt does not, also you are only running 5 miles on the treadmill where you usually run more on the aqueduct. A little decrease in mileage can act like a mini taper and make you feel "fresh."