Sunday, February 1, 2009

Saturday Threshold + Sunday Hills

We have had some awesome weather this past weekend with highs around 70 degrees and very little wind (only a little Santa Ana breeze this afternoon). Total mileage for the weekend was 17.5.

Saturday I did 10 miles total including 4 miles easy, 4 miles at threshold pace, and 2 miles cool down (carrying a bunch of bananas). The first 4 miles was a little quicker than I had planned (7:22, 7:18, 7:18, 7:22) but didn't seen to affect me too much. I started the threshold portion on M just past 55th and ran up to 65th, down to L-8 and then finished in front of VONS. The mile splits were (6:24, 6:16, 6:18, 6:14). L-8 is a great road to do a threshold pace run on. It is relatively flat but then are some slight ups and downs that keep it interesting. Much like CIM I assume. I finished and took a break at VONS were I picked up 2 dollars worth of bananas that we needed for the boys and then cooled down the 2 miles home carrying my fruit. Total time for 10 miles was 1:09:54 (avg pace 6:59).

Finished January with 81 measly miles running. Ran only 11 days this month. Lots of alibis. I feel like it was enough to maintain fitness. The quality was there, just not the quantity. Ready for a February push.


Sunday I wanted to do some hills but didn't have time to drive up to 70th so I zig zagged over to my hill at the end of 45th (a 4 mile warm up in 29:10) and then did 5x200m hill repeats in 40, 40, 41, 40, 37. The hill is not nearly as steep as 70th (grade tops out at 5%), but it is still a decent workout. The Garmin says the hill is .13 miles which when you multiply by 1600m=208m. My times were decent then compared to 200s on the track. Recovery was a walk/jog to the bottom. Cool down 2.5 miles home for a total of 7.5 miles in 53:43 (avg pace 7:09) I included the time up the hills not down.

Two decent workouts this weekend.

Congratulations to Clay and Dale at the Surf City Marathon/Half Marathon today.
Clay ran 1:33:16 shattering his masters half marathon PR of 1:54:53 set in 2006. Read his commentary and see pictures here.

Dale ran 3:21:50 in the full marathon, also shattering his PR of 3:49:15, which was on the same course, and also in 2006. Read his commentary and see pictures here.

Both were UNDER my predicted times. You guys have come a long way in 2 years. I can't wait for CIM!

1 comment:

Van 1- Hall said...

Karl,
Yea I remember running into you at the expo, it's not everyday I am in Boston and someone says my name. Hope things are going well for you and thanks for keeping check with my blog. It's been a long, long road man and I'm very thankful for where I am today. Most of my Easy runs are at 8:00 pace and 7:00 is usually my medium run pace...Ive learned to enjoy the easy runs. Take care man!