Sunday, June 7, 2009

28 mile weekend in Phoenix!

I missed a post on Thursday but put in 8 miles in 59 minutes (7:23 pace) and felt great!

Friday night I left for Phoenix. My cousin Will Schmid was ordained as a Catholic Preist on Saturday! It was an incredible ceremony and he has worked very hard to get to where he is now. He is a great person and will help many people.

I stayed with relatives in a time share in Scottsdale (the north east corner of Phoenix). I had mapped out a running route before I left using google maps.

Saturday I got in 8 miles in 59:18 (7:25 pace). What I didn't realize looking at the satellite image is that the route I chose was a steady uphill all the way out and downhill all the way back. I felt great on Saturday averaging 7:40 on the uphill (probably 3-5% grades), and 7:00 on the way down.

Sunday I got in a 20 miler! The route I picked on google came out to be almost exactly 20 miles on the Garmin 305. I extended the run from Saturday so the course was 10 miles uphill and 10 miles downhill with grades a little steeper towards the peak. It took me 2:36:19 for 20 miles (avg pace 7:50). I was averaging 8:20's on the way up and 7:20 on the way down. There were some low points where I wondered if I could make it but was able to rally back and finish. Then I hopped in the pool for 10 minutes! It ended up being a very good run, tough by myself, but gave me some mental confidence for July 5th!

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Good job hanging tough and completing your 20 miler.

Ron said...

DUUUUDE way to go. Nice run. Im not sure but I THINK YOUR READY!

DCHS XC said...

Way to go. Another 20 miler in 2 weeks and your ready for 30 on July 5.