Sunday, March 8, 2009

15 mile pacific crest trail run

Clay hosted a mountain trail fun run today on the Pacific Crest Trail from San Fransisquito Road to Lake Hughes Road. It is a grueling 7.5 miles each way on single track trail for a total of 15 miles. Total ascent was 3684 ft. There was very little flat areas. I had run the back end of this course before with Clay, starting at Lake Hughes Road, but it had been over a year.

I took a Kelty hydration pack with a 2 liter water pouch to test out today. I liked it quite a bit. It has a waist and chest strap that holds it tight to my back. The water valve was easily accessible as well. I nearly drank the entire 2 liters.

It took me 68 minutes to get to the turn around (7.5 miles). The first two miles at the start and after the turn around were over 10 minutes each. I stopped at the turn around to get my powerbar gel blasts, get a drink, and started back up the hill. I met Clay about 2 miles back towards the start and ran back with him and his dog. I finished the 15 mile course in 2:21:29 (avg pace 9:26).

It was a lot of fun but I am going to be sore tomorrow. The last 1.5 miles are down hill and steep. My quads and calves will be "talking tomorrow" and I really stretched out my plantar fascia on my left foot coming down the hills. I also made the same mistake I made in Boston of not cutting my toe nails before the run, but I don't think I will loose any this time.

If you have the opportunity I highly recommend this trail run.

No comments: