Saturday, May 9, 2009

11 mile aqueduct run (1:23:49)

I met Clay up on the aqueduct at 70th St. W at 6:00am today. The plan was 10 miles at 8:00 pace. He said he needed a longer warm up to get to that pace so he started ahead and I backtracked a 2 min so that he would be 4 minutes ahead of me. I met up with him at about 2.5 miles. We ran together for a mile or so and then his calves were bothering him so he slowed down and turned back early. I wanted to make it to the turnaround at 110th St. so I continued on. I was unable to catch Clay on the way back. He and his dog Aurora finished just ahead of me for 9 miles. I finished with 11 miles at 1:23:49 (avg pace 7:37).

There was absolutely no wind up there this morning, instead there were tiny mosquitos. I think I inhaled a handful. I'll chalk it up as extra protein I guess.

Currently, I find that after a few miles I settle into a 7:30/mi pace comfortably. I didn't want to press any harder than that as I am still in recovery mode and just interested in putting in the time. In the last 7 days from last Sunday (OC half marathon) until today I have logged 39 miles. I need to keep this trend up for the next two months in preparation for my 30 mile birthday run on July 5th (more information to come).

My splits today were 7:47, 7:38, 7:32, 8:03, 7:47, 7:40, 7:32, 7:34, 7:28, 7:26, 7:18.


My wife Andi has been running more consistently over the last few weeks to build up her mileage base before a 10-12 week marathon build up before the Twin Cities Marathon on October 4th. I had her wear the Garmin today and she ran 6.84 miles in 55:37 (8:07 pace). I am hoping that she will use the July 4th Newhall 5k as a time trial to gauge her current fitness and give us a better estimate of her current potential for a marathon.

No comments: