Friday, November 6, 2009

10 miles in new pair of Kayano 15s!

I had been putting off buying a new pair of shoes in hopes of getting a pair of the new Kayano 16s that are due out this month (you can get them online at Roadrunnersports.com). I had this gift card to sport chalet that I wanted to use so I was calling weekly to see if they got the new model in. Well, I had waited long enough so I got another pair of Kayano 15s (I'm not complaining, I loved my last pair). I took them for a 10 mile test run this morning and they passed. I ran my Rancho Vista Loop plus two laps around Marie Kerr Park in just under 1:15 (avg 7:30 pace). The pace was even most of the way. It was another beautiful morning. I found out later that the Kayano 15 was awarded the Runners World International Editor's Choice award for best shoe of 2009! I found the information on runningusa.org which also had a nice write-up on Sergio Reyes' win (and course record) at Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon. It was also reported on the Runnersworld Racing Daily Blog! He's finally getting some recognition as a "rising star on the national running scene." I found some nice pictures of Sergio from the Chicago Marathon here.

Meb had been getting some flack from some sports writers for not being born in America. Now other writers like this one from Sports Illustrated are speaking out on Meb's behalf. My favorite point this article makes is that the last American to win the New York Marathon, Alberto Salazar, was also not born in America. He was born in Cuba. Did you see Meb finish pointing to the USA on his jersey and pumping his fists then carrying the American flag around with him? Way to go Meb we are proud of you!

My high school Green Valley in Henderson, NV won the Southern Sectional Sunrise Division last weekend (results here). The individual winner also came from Green Valley! They will compete for the Nevada state title this weekend. This may be their best team ever. The best we ever finished when I was there was maybe 8th in the state (they only take 8 teams). Some team from Reno usually wins.

Good luck this weekend to Ron Gallagher who will be competing in his first half ironman in Henderson, NV (The Silverman). We will be thinking about you. Have a great race! The weather should be awesome!

No comments: