Saturday, July 3, 2010

8 mile birthday run

With my dad and step-mom in town, Andi and I got in another run together this weekend. We ran an 8 mile loop down 55th to L-8 then up to 70th to the aqueduct, back to 60th and home on N. It was not too hot this morning with a slight breeze. The run took us 72 minutes, we took it easy since we are running the Newhall 5k tomorrow morning.

Keeping with the tradition of significant birthday runs (last year I ran 30 miles for my 30th birthday), this year I will run 3.1 miles for my 31st birthday! I had planned on trying for a sub-18 minutes, but since the last 2 months haven't gone as planned, it will be more of a bench mark race to test my current fitness. I would be pleased with a sub 18:30, and happy to be in the 18s.

The Prefontaine Classic was this afternoon, and in windy conditions, there was finally a sub 13min 5k on US soil. Actually, the first 2 were under 13 minutes, but no Americans among them. Solinsky was 7th in 13:08. Bekele won as I predicted in 12:58. The highlight of the US distance crew was Andrew Wheating in the Bowerman mile. He was the first American and 5th overall with a personal best time of 3:51.74! The Beijing Gold Medalist, Kiprop, won in 3:49! Local Palmdale resident, LaShinda Demus, won the 400m hurdles in a meet record 53.03! There was a tied American Record in the 110 HH by David Oliver 12.90.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Best wishes to Andi and you! I am looking forward to reading all about your races.