Thursday, August 19, 2010

3 mile...Jog

We stayed out in Acton with my sister-in-law last night. I got up early and jogged to the Acton Park. There is a nice dirt path around the park which is almost a half mile long (.45 miles). I started to have calf tightness after a mile or so. I was able to make it through 3 miles, then walked a cool down. I found that I had less pain with a forefoot strike versus a heel strike due to less dorsiflexion, and less stretch on the calf. More on form later. I did some massage and ice baths today. It was pretty stiff and sore all day. Very similar to my run on August 6th, but not quite that bad.

FYI Frank Shorter ran his first race after having surgery on his hip at the beginning of this year. He had a hip resurfacing, not a hip replacement. He ran the Falmouth 7 miler in just over 70 minutes. I can't imagine how it must feel to run nearly twice as slow as he did in his prime. I hope he is just happy to be running again. I know I will be.

No comments: