Thursday, April 10, 2008

9 miles at marathon pace (61:45)

Today was probably my last run at a higher intensity. It was also the nicest day in the last two weeks (NO WIND). I ran 9 miles (61:45) at marathon pace (6:52). It was a great run but tough to realize that I have to keep up that pace for another 17 miles, YIKES!

My mile splits were 7:32, 7:19, 6:59, 7:01, 6:52, 6:31, 6:29, 6:31, 6:27. It takes me about 2-3 miles to really get rolling, but I settle into a comfortably hard pace nicely. It was my fastest 9 mile run so far this year with only about 85% effort.

The weather forecast for Boston goes out to April 19th right now. The predict that Saturday will be sunny with the low-high temps 44-54 degrees. Sounds perfect to me. I hope I am not jinxing myself here.

I found a cool article online that ranks marathons based on their percentage of Boston qualifiers and then by number of Boston qualifiers. The Boston Marathon is #1, Duh, but there are some other interesting races that I didn't think of. St. George and Sacramento are known to be fast courses. Grandma's Marathon, where I set my PR (2:58:37), is on the list for number of qualifiers. If you are looking for a good Boston qualifying course check out the article here.

No comments: