Saturday, April 11, 2009

200th Post!! Treadmill 10k hill workout

My 200th post!!

It was very windy all day and instead of fighting it Andi and I both got on the treadmill for shorter runs.

I started with 2 miles on 3% at about 7.5mph. After that I was bored and had to come up with some sort of workout that would make the time pass quickly. I decided that for the next 4 miles I would run at a constant speed 8mph (7:30 pace) but vary the incline. So the third quarter mile of each of the next 4 miles was run at a 6% grade. Daniels' treadmill grade table says that 8mph at 6% incline is equivalent to a 5:43 pace effort. That is very close to my vV02max (velocity at VO2max). Once I started concentrating on when to increase the incline the time flew by.

A better workout would be to do this same grade and speed but at a 1:1 work to rest ratio. It would be equivalent to running half mile VO2max intervals but never running faster than 7:30 pace!

Does that make sense? Find your VDOT and training paces here. Then use the Daniels' treadmill grade table to make up a good treadmill workout when you don't want to fight the wind.

After warmup and cool down I ran a 10k on the treadmill in 48:30 (avg pace 7:48).

No comments: