Saturday, February 23, 2008

2 minute intervals for 40 minutes.

I probably missed my opportunity to do a longer run this weekend because I slept in until 7am this morning as both my boys slept great last night. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain all morning with heavy winds.

I only had an hour to run so I went for the closest hills again and ran a 10 minute warm up followed by 2 minute interval workout of 2 min at 5k pace followed by 2 min comfortable (around 7:30 to 8:00). I repeated that for 40 minutes so I ended up running a total of 20 minutes at sub six minute pace. That included a few hills in the middle of the run. I ended with a 10 minute cool down with my dog Emma.

Total mileage was 8 miles with the first 7 in approximately 50 minutes. Mile splits were 7:46, 7:13, 7:11, 6:21, 6:47, 6:50, 6:32. The splits are deceiving as it depended on how many intervals at 5k pace were included in that mile.

I have been doing more research on the Boston Marathon and found a you tube video of the race course. There is A LOT of downhill and it will be tough to hold back the first half of the race.

Even if it is raining I think I will go to Quartz hill tomorrow to get some hill training in.

Watch the entire Boston Marathon course here in 16 minutes 30 seconds.

No comments: