Sunday, February 10, 2008

Half Marathon 1:32:44

Today was a little test to see where I was at and if I had lost anything after being sick. I learned that I am progressing, but I still have a lot of work to do as it was not as easy as I would like it to be.

I ran a half marathon course that is overall uphill for the first half and downhill and flat for the second half. I ran my first mile in 7:30 and decided that I would go for a sub 1:35. My mile splits were 7:30, 7:09, 7:20, 7:22, 7:23, 7:17, 7:04, 6 :54, 6:51, 6:45, 6:57, 6:49, 6:39. You can definitely see a first half and second half there. I was pleased with the evenness of the splits.

I pushed close to my limits on this one and have some mild lateral right foot pain afterward. It is good to know that my speed is improving, but I need the endurance to sustain that pace for twice as long. 26 miles is no joke.

Average pace was 7:05. I should be able to run a 1:30 fairly easily as I will have to repeat that performace to run a sub 3 hour marathon. Also, Boston has a fairly hilly second half so negative splits is unlikely.

I am looking forward to getting back into my 4 day per week running routine and strength training programs that have slipped last week. If I feel good I may do some interval work on Tuesday.

Clay and I had our free running clinic yesterday which was a success. We had 28 people show up and although our video did not work the demonstrations were probably more effective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be nice to get back to 4 days a week running and 3 cardio strength workouts.
Great time for 13 miles!

Stutelberg Family said...

Reading your blog is so inspiring! MAKE me do the strength workouts this week. I will protest...but I really need it! :)