Saturday, December 20, 2008

1600m time trial Karl 5:14, Clay 5:57

Clay and I decided to meet Saturday at Joe Walker Middle School earlier in the week to help each other on a 1600m time trial. After a good warmup (it was about 50 degrees but a cold wind on the back stretch) Clay ran his mile. He was hoping to break 6 minutes. I ran the last 800m with him and he came in at 5:57. I then did some accelerations on the track and got ready for my mile. I was hoping to break 5:20 but didn't know if it could be done today. Although I was well rested having not run since Wednesday. Clay ran ahead of me on the back stretch for the 3rd and 4th laps as I like to have someone to chase. It helped me stay focused on the second half of the run. My splits were 75.5, 80, 80, 78.5 for a 5:14 mile! (VDOT=56). See Clay's blog for pictures. Today was really just a base line for the spring. I would like to drop 20 seconds off that time by the end of May. Total mileage with warm up and cool down today was 5 miles.

I looked back at Clay's blog from last year and I ran 5:23 on September 18, 2007. I haven't run as fast as I did today in 6 or 7 years, and it felt easier than a year ago.

Here are two videos from Coach Chapman with Team Indiana Elite about their core circuit workout that reminds me a lot of the workout we presented on at our last running clinic, besides the dynamic stretching. This is worth a watch.
Video One (The Workout)
Video Two (The Interview)
Coach Chapman describes the benefits of his workout well stating in one 24 minute workout his athletes get general strength training, neuromuscular training, and cardiovascular training. He also states this circuit workout allows his athletes to run more mileage, faster workouts, more workouts per week, and recover quicker. Sound familiar? It sure is cool that some coaches are starting to GET IT!
Mountain climbers and burpees are part of the routine. They are even doing "kettlebell squats" with a handled medicine ball! Although most of their exercises look pretty easy!

Finally, a link to an abstract from a recent article in Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research linking less flexibility to better running economy, of course these are all fairly balanced collegiate runners.

No comments: