Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Running Recap (mileage totals).

December ended up being my lowest mileage month for the year! Total mileage was only 61 miles (I only ran 9 days the whole month). That brought the mileage for the year up to 1175 just missing the 1200 mark. My average run over the year was just about 7 miles per run.

Here are some of the highlights from the year:
Boston Marathon in April 3:13:56
Newhall July 4th 5k (18:20).
Breaking 20 minutes (19:57) on the Pelona Vista Cross Country course (3 mile).
Aqueduct half marathon time trial in Ocotober (1:24:33).
Topanga Turkey Trot 15k (1:14:05) 11th place!
Mile time trial in December (5:14).

Some of my favorite workouts from the year included:
18 mile fast finish on the aqueduct on March 2.
Grass Mountain intervals on August 17.
Grass Mountain race man vs. bike September 6.


Now it is time to look forward to 2009.
Here are some of my goals for the year.
1. I will run 1500 miles in 2009.
2. I will run 4:55 mile (1600m) by the end of May 2009.
3. I will run a sub 18 min 5k by the end of 2009 (Palmdale Turkey Trot).
4. I will run a 2:55 marathon at the CIM in Sacramento December 6, 2009.
5. I will run 30 miles for my 30th birthday in July.

Here is an article that I wrote for this months HDR newsletter on goal setting.

Setting goals for 2009

During my professional career I have read articles and talked to employers who say they like to hire runners! Even in my own interviews with future employers, my running has been a positive mark on my likelihood for employment. Their reasoning is simple: Runners know how to set goals. They know that it takes hard work to attain those goals. Furthermore, they are typically consistent and dependable on a day to day basis making the “baby steps” towards the big picture. Yes, its time to starting looking towards the new year and set goals for where we would like to be and what we would like to do. Many of the readers of this article probably have some sort of goal in mind for their running for the upcoming year, and if not you may be soon. The purpose of this article is to help you set attainable and realistic goals.

First, I recommend writing your goals down, that way you can see them and read them. Start your goals with “I will” instead of “I would like to.” This makes certain that you are dedicated to this goal. Also write down a date of when you want to accomplish your goal.

Next tell your family and friends about your goals. They will help keep you accountable on days that you don’t feel like going out on your long run. Then post your goal around your house and work area so that you see it and read it often. The more you say the goal the more you will believe it will happen. Keeping a running journal or training blog is a good way to keep track of your progress.

The most difficult part of goal setting is making them realistic and attainable. It is hard to predict what you will run for your first marathon. My first marathon I had no idea how to predict what I would run. Before training for a marathon I had never run more than 14 miles at once. I didn’t want my goal too high and then be disappointed if it was not met. I also wanted to make it challenging enough that I would be proud of my accomplishment when it was met. I predicted 3:20-3:30 and ran 3:15.

Now there are calculators online that can help you predict what your potential times for other distances might be based on a recent race time. Input your last 5k time and it will give you equivalent efforts for other distances. The formulas are based on physiological research and comparing times of different runners. Some not only predict equivalent times but also give you your specific training paces for certain workouts. I have found some to be very accurate. Here are my favorites:
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp
http://www.runnersworld.com/ also has a training calculator that you can use and then plug into their SmartCoach tool that will give you a training plan to work with.
Remember these calculators give you a prediction of potential to base you goals on. You still have to train for that specific race and goal time.

The great Yogi Berra once said, “You’ve got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.”
Happy running in 2009!
Karl Stutelberg, PT


Finally, here is Dr. Maharam (Runners World's running doc) list of medical resolutions for runners for 2009.

1 comment:

EBS said...

Hey Karl, nice goals and good article! I ran a 5K last night for New Years and took a minute off my Turkey Trot time! So now I'm thinking maybe I should make a goal, too. I ran 34:30 last night and I'm gonna try to run a 5K in under 28:00 in 2009. Better start training, huh?