Wednesday, August 5, 2009

1.5 in the morning; 9.0 at night (tempo)

My youngest son caught a nasty virus and has been sick the past two days. Consequently, there hasn't been great sleeping going on in our house. I thought I would be able to get out for a run this morning but spent half the night on the couch. I got up and thought, "I can get in a half hour." Usually I talk myself out of it, deciding that the extra half hour sleep is more beneficial. Today I guess I felt like I needed to pound some pavement and got out for what turned out to be only a mile and a half. After putting on my running shoes, I felt tired and needed enough time to get ready for work. It was just enough to get my heart beating and wake me up. It took me longer to clean up and get dressed than it did to run the 1.5 miles around my neighborhood.

Tonight, after deciding that Andi would get her run in the morning, I decided to leave the house for an hour run at 8:45pm. I picked the Rancho Vista loop from my house. I hadn't run it in a while and decided that I would push up all the hills on the course. After about 1 mile I decided that I felt pretty good, similar to last Friday in Long Beach, and was maintaining a comfortably hard effort tempo pace for most of the run. I pushed the hills and cruised the downhill and flats. I saw a few other runners out tonight and pushed to catch each group ahead of me. I ended up negative splitting the run and finished the 9 miles in just under 63 minutes! (avg pace 6:59).

Mile splits were: 7:36, 7:20, 6:58, 7:24, 6:37, 6:46, 6:29, 6:36, 6:59.

All the long runs of the past 4 months are finally paying off. That pace didn't feel too hard. Good thing becuase 6:40 is my goal marathon pace in December.

Andi has been having some ITBand tightness and Quadricep pain over the past week. It is finally resolving. She took and extra day off and cut her long run a little short last weekend. She will run easy tomorrow and then long again (14 miles) on Saturday with me.

No comments: