Sunday, August 2, 2009

16 miler in Long Beach, CA

The best way to see a city is on foot, especially on the run! Clay and I left the hotel at 3:55 am (Clay was up early and I said lets go for it!) and headed out on the streets of Long Beach for a planned 16 miler. I think I set a personal record for the earliest run. The weather was beautiful (around 66 degrees). We ran down the PCH until we got to 2nd street which took us through the island town of Naples, CA. Then we continued on Ocean Blvd down the heart of Long Beach, around the convention center and back up Alamitos to our hotel. We saw the Long Beach Aquarium, the Performing Arts Center, the Queen Mary, 3 different art museums, and the beach! Wild life included about 20 stray cats near a park by the beach. We could also hear the seals at the aquarium getting their breakfast. At about mile 8 we hit "Rock Bottom," ok, we didn't stop but it wasn't open either. We averaged 8:20 pace over 16 miles for a total time of 2:13. We were back to the hotel just after 6:00 am and arrived easily for our last day of the Functional Training Summit. My first lecture was on Kettlebell training and it was upstairs! Big mistake, I just watched most of the techniques, although I did work on my turkish getup!

A nice way to start off August.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Sounds like you had a busy and productive weekend. Good job getting up so early and putting in a 16 miler!

Daniel said...

Did you see the article/news about Kara Goucher's Chicago Half Marathon? Crazy good...
http://dailynews.runnersworld.com/2009/08/august-3.html

Karl Stutelberg said...

Dan
I did see the results! She won the race outright beating all the women and men! She was also about 30 seconds off the American Record! She is ready for World's. I heard they even had what they called "Kara Cam" and it was streamed online!