Saturday, February 6, 2010

Run to Acton?

Yesterday I decided that today would be the day to run to Acton. The forecast was calling for rain but it looked to be less chance in the morning so I set my alarm for 4:45 am with the plan of getting there around 8:00am. My alarm woke me up and I checked outside. "It doesn't look too bad," I thought. Then all of the sudden it was like someone cut an opening trough the clouds and it opened up the flood gates. I went back to bed.

I woke up again around 6:30 and couldn't hear the rain anymore. I looked outside and only saw a drizzle, so I laced up my shoes, put on my tights, jacket, gloves and hat and headed out. I decided to see if I could make it to Anaverde (the housing development where the trail starts to Acton). I ran down Rancho Vista to 30th then made a right and ran up to Highland High School. By then the rain was even less and I made it to 25th and Elizabeth Lake Rd. I made a right there and started looking left for the access road toward the aqueduct. Right away there was a "fire access road" sign but I thought, "It can't be that soon, I better keep going." Nothing else was coming up and I thought about turning around but then saw another road on the left side that looked like it was going in the right direction. After looking at Google Earth when I got home it was actually 40th St. West. I had run through another part of Anaverde to the West that was never finished due to the recession and housing crisis. The dirt road, which was mostly mud by this point, turned to the left and headed still in the right direction. It eventually became Edison Rd in Anaverde. I made my first right on Parkwood which took me to the highest point where the trail to Acton starts. I looked at my watch when I got to the top and it showed 11 miles! Yikes, now I have to run home. I looked up the trail a little ways and for a brief second thought about continuing, then turned around and tried to find the quickest way home. I was able to find my way quickly to the aqueduct and then found that fire access road that I missed which put me right at 25th and Elizabeth Lake Rd. I then retraced my steps home from there and it was exactly 8 miles from the top of Anaverde back to my house. I had gone 3 miles out of my way on the way there! By then my total was 19 miles and I continued around my neighborhood until I hit 20! A little crazy...yes, but besides my tights getting really wet I felt good most of the way. I ended the 20 miles in exactly 2 hours 40 minutes (8:00 pace). Next weekend I may have to attempt the run to Acton again, now that I know the shortest route to the trail. On Google Earth it is named Sierra Pellona Mountainway West. It doesn't look that much farther from there, just a mile or two over the mountain.

No comments: