Sunday, July 6, 2008

9 mile run (67:37); 2 mile hike at Grass Mtn

I went out for a long run planning on between 8-10 miles. I felt a little tight but loosened up after about 3 miles. I ended up running over to Joe Walker Middle School and when I got there decided to run a mile on the track and then head home.

The work out ended up being 4 miles, then 1 mile on the track, then 4 miles home. The mile at the track was 5:49 picking up the pace on each lap and ending with a 200m sprint. It sure was fun to run on a track. It has been a while.

Mile splits were 8:21, 8:04, 7:57, 7:43, 5:49, 8:04, 7:22, 7:12, 7:00. Average pace was 7:31.
Total time for 9 miles was 67:37.

I got home, showered, and Andi went for a run. When she got home we loaded the boys up and went for a hike up Grass Mountain. We used the kid packs for the boys and hiked up 1 mile and then back down.

I carried Matt in a pack which included our lunch, which made for about an extra 40 pounds. It was pretty tough. We made it one mile in about 23 minutes. Then we turned around and had a picnic at the bottom. It was a fun hike. We didn't see any snakes, but we did see a horse and a lizard.
The Olympic Trials ended tonight with some pretty amazing races. The most amazing was the men's 1500m final. I knew it was going to be a fun race to watch but I had no idea how physical it would be. There were elbows flying all over. The pace slowed dramatically after 100m and everyone got bunched up. Bernard Lagat won again. As I predicted, Alan Webb did not make the team. Unfortunately, because of the slow pace, Gabe Jennings was forced to lead early and ended up not making the team either. I had hoped he would be in the top three.

No comments: