Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hill repeats Thursday

Well I got out to run some hills this morning. It is a 20 minute warm up (2.5 miles) to the hills from my house. I got started about 10 minutes late so I only had time to do 4 repeats. I did two different routes twice, each was a quarter mile long, with the steepest part being the last tenth of a mile.

It was much harder that I expected, although I wasn't expecting it to be easy. Each quarter mile took about 1 minute 40 seconds or so. My legs felt a little heavy and tight. Again I haven't done any trail running or hill training in a while, so I guess this was a fair intro. Hills are one of my weaknesses I think. I am going to try to incorporate more hill workouts in the next few months.

Total mileage for the run was 7 miles.

I planned todays workout to be exactly one week before I try and break 20 minutes again at the HDR cross country 3 mile course at Pelona Vista Park.

Last weeks Sports Illustrated was the annual "Where are they now?" issue that featured Bill Rodgers since it was 20 years ago that he won Boston and New York Marathons in the same year. Interestingly, it says that he plans to run the Boston Marathon again next year. He hasn't run it since 1999 when he tried to set the 50-59 age group record and did not finish. He said he didn't want his last Boston to be a DNF. Read the article online here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Karl for the article on Bill Rodgers. I will run the XC race in the finals to see if i can get under 23 min.

Clay