Tuesday, January 15, 2008

10k in the wind

If I have learned anything since moving to the Antelope Valley it is that if you wait until the afternoon to get your run in you are almost guaranteed wind. Today I waited until about 3:00 and it was windy! I had planned to go a little longer but decided I didn't want to do what Clay calls AVRT (Antelope Valley Resistance Training) so I did my 10k out and back course to Ave. M. and 50th which is almost completely north and south. This way I avoided any full head wind or tail wind.

Today my 10k would be considered a tempo run near my lactate threshold. This is usually around your 10k-15k pace. McMillan's running site has another good article on 4 types of training zones. Each of your workouts should fall into one of these zones, and each type has a specific benefit towards improving your running performance.

My total time today was 41:49 (average pace 6:45). The course has a good hill in the second half of the third mile. My mile splits were 7:53, 6:48, 6:58, 6:27, 6:20, 6:14. I was pleased to have 5 out of 6 of my mile splits under 7 min. I think I was probably close to 85-90% of my max HR by the last mile of the run. McMillan's running calculator says my tempo run pace for a 3 hour marathon should be 6:15 to 6:31.

Finally, Tom Ham, a college teammate of mine, ran the Houston Half Marathon last weekend in 1:28:11. Congratulations to him. He ran the Las Vegas Half Marathon with me a few years back in around 1:25 so that was a few minutes off a PR. (Tom, lets pick a race and get you out here this summer).

On a side note there has been some interesting running news out there lately. A bilateral below knee amputee from South Africa (Oscar Pistorius) was banned from competing in the Olympics when his cheetah prosthetics were shown to decrease energy expenditure by 25% (see video here). Marion Jones was sentenced to six months in prison for lying to a Grand Jury about steroid use. Read reactions from Michael Johnson and Sebastian Coe.

On a happier note Ryan Hall and Paula Radcliffe are running the London Marathon on April 13th, and Haile Gebrselassie will attempt to break the 2:04 barrier at the Dubai Marathon on January 18th. Don't forget to check out the movie Spirit of the Marathon on January 24th for a one day only showing.

Check out the Daily New Blog at runnersworld.com for all the latest running news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have run a 10k in the time it took me to check out all the articles. Try AVRT next time, 8 min pace out 5 min pace back

Anonymous said...

Karl,
Loved reading about everything!
This blog is a one place stop to find out everything you need to know about running. Keep up the good work!

Clay