Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fartlek

I didn't know what or where I was going to run this morning until I left the house. I ended up running 9 miles in a fartlek format after about 15 minute warmup, changing speeds for different amounts of time. I basically would increase my pace to a comfortable hard level (10k pace) to increase my heart rate, then slow down to marathon pace +30 seconds or so until I caught my breath, and then increase my pace again. I wasn't trying to get faster each mile but it ended up that way. I was just varying my speed based on how I was feeling.

My total time for 9 miles was 1:04:29. My mile splits were 8:37, 8:10, 7:13, 7:10, 6:50, 6:42, 6:36, 6:24, 6:39. Average pace (7:10). Last 6 miles (40:21). Last 3 miles (19:39) .

Felt pretty good overall. Fairly flat course. Good workout for teaching your body to run at a faster pace then what it is normally used to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My HS coach would make us do fartleks in a group. We would all run in a single-file line, person in front sets the pace. Whoever is in back has to sprint to the front and they become the pacer. It was a nice way to train because your speed would change with every new front runner. It is fun to do with a group.