Thursday, January 3, 2008

The calm before the storm

It is supposed to rain for the next 3 days in southern California. I have heard everything from 6 inches to 10 inches over the weekend. This afternoon was great, cloudy and cool but no wind. I took advantage and got in an hour run.

Total mileage over one hour was 8.5 miles. I find a good gauge for endurance, and to see improvement over time, is to run for an hour and see how much distance I can cover. I shoud be able to cover 9 miles in an hour without much difficulty for my marathon goal pace. 9 miles an hour for three hours is 27 miles (the marathon being 26.2 miles).

The course today was 2.5 miles to a hillier part of town, run the hills around Ave. M and 50th, and back. So the middle 3.5 miles was hilly. I'm tired of running on flat surfaces around my house.

My miles splits were 7:30, 7:23, 7:18, 7:01, 7:30, 6:48, 6:49, 6:10 and the last half mile was 3:47. One of the training methods I find most effective for my marathon training is to run hard towards the end of my training runs. Even on an easy day picking up the pace by 30 seconds for the last few miles teaches the body to run hard when it is tired.

My training partner Clay is running the Orange County Marathon this Sunday.

Finally, I got the email confirming my Boston Marathon entry. There's no turning back now.

1 comment:

Stutelberg Family said...

HI cutie! Cool blog!! Instead of posting I will just leave you comments when the alarm goes off at 6:00am and you don't get out of bed to run! Happy running!