Thursday, January 31, 2008

9 mile Thursday (1:04:39)

Well I got out another 9 miles on Thursday morning. It is starting to be a marathon pace or slightly faster type run, which is what I would like it to be. I should be able to run 9 miles in an hour fairly easily. I was close today as this time included me changing the batteries in my MP3 player around mile 3 (I don't stop my watch for anything except crossing a river, see Sunday's post).

My mile splits today were 8:18, 7:25, 8:10, 7:17, 7:00, 6:54, 6:28, 6:41, 6:21.
Average pace was 7:12.

Total mileage for January was 138 miles, only because it is fun to add them up. The key is quality over quantity. I don't think I will run more than 4 days per week very often again.

I have a new favorite quote I found online “It’s better to do it right over a shorter distance than to do it wrong for twice as long.”

I also liked this one about not worrying about mileage: “It appeals to me, as I never get anywhere near the miles per week I “should”. I’ve already junked “recovery runs”. I’d rather get off my legs and do some other form of active recovery, like drinking tea lying on the sofa. No seriously, like a refreshing bout of strength training, for instance.”

I found another cool website for you all to check out: www.powerrunning.com

1 comment:

JimR said...

Just because a website has a lot of words in it, remember to take it with a grain of salt