Sunday, January 27, 2008

16 miler (2:02:21) Over rivers, up hills, through the wind

I think yesterday would have been a better day for my long run. It poured last night and created a river in Quartz hill on 50th St. West. I guess this happens when ever the rain comes down hard but this was new to me. I ran an extra mile to try and cross it and ended up getting my shoes wet anyway. This was only after 3 miles of my run.

I met up with Clay about 4 miles into the run and we ran some of the steeper hills in Quartz Hill. The wind didn't help either as it was in our face going up most of the hills. We still kept a pretty good pace and had a good run. Our slowest mile was 8:24 and our fastest about 6:50.

I got some water at Clay's house, I was way over dressed and feeling a bit dehydrated. On my way home my 13th mile was slow because I got to 50th St. again and the river was worse. I had to flag down a truck who let me hop in the back while they drove me across the street over the water.

My last 3 miles were steady around 6:35 pace. I was feeling really good. Total time for 16 miles today was 2:02:21 which averages out to 7:39 pace.

I'm looking forward to pacing Clay at the Hansen Dam 18 miler next weekend.

Check out some video of Josh Cox demonstrating the core training the pros do up in Mammoth. It is a great workout and very similar to the core exercises that we are doing at work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Karl, you never give up! I guess that is what it takes. I am proud of you. Keep up the good work!