Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Interval Training Above the Lactate Threshold

I felt good yesterday and today, so I decided today was a good day to do some interval training at or above lactate threshold (LT). I ran a 1 mile warm up, then I started repeats of a half mile at LT pace then half mile around marathon pace and did that 5 times.

My five half mile times were 3:11, 3:13, 3:02, 2:44, 2:52. The half mile recovery was between 3:33 and 3:47.

I ended up running 10k in 42:29 (AVG pace 6:51). If I did this workout again I think I would give myself less rest between half mile repeats (2 or 2.5 minutes) and try and keep the times right around 3 minutes.

Over all it was a great workout. Long intervals with little rest, when run correctly (don't go out too fast on the first 2 sets) are the best way to increase your Lactate Threshold. This is the body's ability to remove lactic acid from muscle at high intensities as it starts to accumulate rapidly. You can train your body to metabolize lactate more efficiently.

Myth: It is NOT lactate that causes "the burn," but the hydrogen ions (H+), or extra protons created by the splitting of ATP at high intensities to create more energy rapidly. The lactate is actually there to help neutralize the acidity. An accumulation of (H+) causes acidosis impairing muscle function, which creates "the burn." Can you feel it?

And that is your physiology lesson for the month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED THIS ENTRY!!! good shyte man...printed the link and placed in running folder......

Anonymous said...

well ADP,H+,AVG,LT!
lesson received.